Sunday, January 18, 2009

#166

Hello, workers.
Here’s the fruit of our labor this week.
I think I mentioned before that I was going to be helping Jo’s dad build a levee this weekend to block the creek from flooding his house. The creek is clear and slow moving most of the year, but in the winter you can’t look at it without imagining the rising brown water swiftly carrying a house out to the beach. Building a sandbag levee is back breaking work. It’s much harder than my last job of carrying luggage up and down stairs all day in the Florida sun, and it’s sooo much harder than my present day cushy job of sewing dolls and shipping art. You spike the bags onto the loading frame, shovel in the sand, cut the bags free with a razor, tuck the flap under and stack them like bricks. Then repeat, over and over again. But I like getting wiped out with a day’s work like that once in a while. It makes me appreciate all the hard working rough necks out there.
Jo and I are going to try and take a little time off this week. We’ve been going full throttle since we were approached by Cloth Paper Scissors in October. But don’t worry, there will still be plenty of our work listed next Sunday. We have most of it done already.

-Dylan

No comments: